Haleakala downhill – Self Guided Bike Tour
Haleakala downhill – Self Guided Bike Tour – If freedom and independence are your things when choosing your Maui activities. We have our Haleakala Self-Guided Maui bike tour available for your pleasure. The longest unguided Maui bike tour on the island at approximately 26 miles. Our clients meet our tour guides at 7:30 am at our office in Makawao (see below departure point). The Self Guided Bike Tour begins with a guided van tour from our office in Hailiimaile in route to the entrance of Haleakala National Park. riding 26 miles down through the Haleakala Ranch traveling through the towns of Kula and Makawao and finishing at our office in Haliimaile located on the Northshore of Maui.
We provide transportation to the entrance of Haleakala National Park.
How dangerous is the Haleakala self-guided bike tour?
As with any type of adventure sport, there is going to be some danger and risk involved. After all, you will be riding your bike downhill for 26 miles – and a lot can happen. However, if you are a seasoned bike rider who is comfortable riding at a fast, downhill pace alongside automobiles, then you should be just fine.
When trying to determine if this is the right adventure for your Hawaiian getaway, consider how well you would handle the following:
- Sharing the roadway with cars, trucks, and other motor vehicles
- Traveling downhill at an average gradient of 5-6% — for 26 miles
- Roads with switchbacks and winding curves
- Some stretches of the road with no bike lane or shoulder
What should I bring?
For your Haleakala self-guided bike tour, we provide you a Workmen’s Volcano Chrome Cruiser bike to use, as well as a full-face helmet. Therefore, you just need to bring your sunglasses, sunscreen, snack, water, or anything you think you may need. Remember, whatever you bring, you will have to carry with you – and you need to be able to properly handle your bike.
- Operates: Daily, Check-in 7:30 am
- Departure Point: 886 Haliimaile Ave, Haliimaile
- Duration: Approximately 4-6 hours.
- Equipment: Workmen’s Volcano Chrome Cruiser bikes
- Inclusions: Transportation to the entrance of Haleakala National Park, Volcano Chrome Cruiser bikes, Full Face Helmets.
- Restrictions: 5 days of Cancellation Policy. Must be at least 12 years old and 4′ 10″ tall, no more than 280 lbs and no pregnant women. No Scuba Diving the day before the ride or anyone with Medical Problems relating to a 10,000-foot elevation. Anyone who is not capable of safely riding a bicycle is welcome to ride in the escort van. For passengers that may be joining their family members on the bike ride, but may not be interested in biking themselves, we offer an Upcountry Van tour in conjunction with the bike ride. Please check our Reservations/Activities page to learn more about the Haleakala / Upcountry Van Tour for Sunrise or Day tours.